January 29, 2010

Butterfly!



This is a mixed-media work combining drawing, coloring using oil pastels and watercolor pencils, painting using acrylic paint and forming exercises using old newspapers.

It took me just an hour to assemble everything: roll the newspapers and paint them to resemble a branch of a tree, draw my butterfly on an old newspaper which is then formed and cut by Lui, which I later stuffed with rolled newspaper cut-outs, painted with acrylic paints, and assembled on an illustration board which I colored using oil pastels. Then, using colored art paper, I made several butterfly figures and decorated them using oil pastels. I also made leaves and the sun which I colored with pastels and then Lui helped me assemble everything on the board!




Acrylic paints, colored pencils, pastels, newspapers, art paper and illustration board.